About the RAD
With over 13,000 members’ spread across 85 countries, The Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) is one of the largest and most influential dance education and training organisations in the world.
The Academy’s patron is HM Queen Elizabeth II and our Vice Patron HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.
RAD Membership supports the advancement of dance and includes professional dancers, students, teachers, benefactors and friends.
Established in 1920, to improve standards and re-invigorate dance training initially within the UK, the Academy helps and encourages its teachers to perfect their teaching skills and pass on this knowledge to their students.
There are currently over 1,000 students in full-time or part-time teacher training programmes with the Academy and each year, the examination syllabus is taught to more than a quarter of a million students worldwide.
The Academy maintains close links with all those involved in the industry, at every level. From the internationally recognised ‘Faculty of Education’ degree programmes to those younger students participating in our summer schools. At whatever age or stage, anyone with an appreciation of classical ballet and jazz is able to participate in the work of the Academy.
Facts and Figures
- Our mission: to promote knowledge, understanding and practice of dance internationally
- The RAD is the world’s leading organisation in classical ballet education.
- A global organisation involving approximately 13,000 members across 85 countries.
- 36 RAD offices worldwide.
- 250,000 children take RAD examinations each year.
- Over 200 events and activities attracting over 25,000 participants each year.
- Over 1,000 students enrolled on Faculty of Education programmes of study.
- Programmes offered each year for Continuing Professional Development.
- Full or part-time, distance learning or taught teacher education programmes available from the Faculty of Education.
- Member of Royal Academy of Dance Worldwide Group.
- Registered in Australia ABN 88 132 361 256.
- The Royal Academy of Dance is registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC).
- In Australia every year more than 20,000 students take RAD exams .
- Almost 7,500 participate in RAD Australia’s calendar of events.
- 100 students are annually studying on our Faculty of Education programmes from Australia.
- RAD Australia also has over 1,500 members.
- There are and 940 Registered teachers in Australia alone.