11 October 2021 11:11
World Mental Health Day
Sunday 10 October is World Mental Health Day, an initiative from the World Health Organization (WHO) to ‘raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and to mobilise efforts in support of mental health.’
According to the WHO, globally, one in seven 10-19-year-olds experience a mental disorder but most are undetected and untreated. One in five Australians are affected by mental illness annually with many more experiencing difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic which has had a considerable impact on people’s mental health of all ages.
At the RAD we are keen to empower people to look after themselves and others to promote positive mental health as this so closely chimes with our own priorities in promoting the holistic benefits of dance for mind, body and spirit. Indeed, the meaning of our Latin motto is ‘Health & Happiness’
Whether you are a teacher, a parent or a student of any age there are a range of resources, from a range of professionals, that we hope you will find useful.
Below are articles highlighting the power of dance to positively affect mental health, as well as advice for general wellbeing such as getting better quality sleep and managing stress.
We encourage you as called upon by Mental Health Australia, to Look up, look out and look forward by making a Mental Health Promise for yourself today. Making a promise is a great way to remind you to prioritise your mental health today and every day.
- Free app launched to help dancers with their physical and mental wellbeing
- Self-care tips
- Top tips for teachers on mental health in the dance studio
- Mind Games
- Dance for Children’s Mental Health Week
- The physical and mental health benefits of movement and dance
- Health and Happiness – “Can’t Dance or Won’t Dance?”
- Dance Wellness with Dr Peter Lovatt
- Dance Yourself Happy
- How Dance can Help You to Think Positively
Mental Health Foundation links
- How to look after your mental health
- How to sleep better
- How to manage and reduce stress
- How to look after your mental health using exercise