Each year the RAD’s Artistic Director commissions a choreographer with a strong link either to the Academy, the competition or the host country.
The Commissioned Choreographer creates two variations (one male, one female), which the candidates will learn during the coaching period. The variations are premiered at the Final and are recorded using Benesh Movement Notation to record the choreography for artistic and educational purposes.
- Christopher-Hampson-Short-Bio-March-2010, Birmingham 2003
- Michael Corder, London 2005
- Yuri Ng, Hong Kong 2006
- Sabrina Matthews, Toronto 2008
- Liam Scarlett, London 2010
- Kirsten Isenberg, Cape Town 2011
- Adrian Burnett, Singapore 2009 and Wellington 2012
- Robert Binet, Glasgow 2013
- Ricardo Amarante, Antwerp 2014
- Charlotte Edmonds, London 2015
- Tim Harbour, Sydney 2016
- César Augusto Moniz, Lisbon 2017
- Carlo Pacis, Hong Kong 2018