Why Silver Swans?
Specially designed for older learners, Silver Swans ballet classes will help improve your mobility, posture, co-ordination and energy levels.
Nine Ways in Which Dance Can Improve Your Life
- Dance increases your energy levels
- Dance can help reduce stress and support weight loss
- Dance can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Dance slows ageing by improving the immune system
- Dance classes are a great way to expand your social circle/ meet new people
- Dance can help diminish the symptoms of depression
- Dance improves balance, resulting in fewer falls later in life
- Dance increases cognitive ability by promoting new connections in the brain and may even help stave off dementia in later life
- Dance whatever your age and wherever you feel comfortable, but if you’re an older learner, the social benefits of joining a dance class will also enhance your sense of wellbeing.
Silver Swans Classes
Our Silver Swans classes are available in parts of the UK, US and Australia and are open to people of all ages and ability. Silver Swans teachers are trained specifically to teach a range of abilities and ages over 55. Open and accessible, classes will help improve your mobility, posture, coordination, and energy levels. Look out for the Silver Swans Licensed Teacher logo to ensure that you have the best possible dancing experience! www.rad.org.au/silverswans Member of the Royal Academy of Dance® Worldwide Group. The Royal Academy of Dance is reistered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) Silver Swans® is both a registered and unregistered trademark of the Royal Academy of Dance in multiple territories.
- In 2015, there were an estimated 6.5 million Australians aged 55yrs and over, representing over a quarter of the population (27.4%) – though this percentage is higher in some states.
- Older Australians (65yrs plus) were more active in 2015. The proportion of older people living in households who participated in physical activities for exercise or recreation increased to 49.2% in 2015
- Current estimates from the Australian Bureau of Statistics for female life expectancy at birth are 84.6 years and 80.4 years for men. Only two other countries – Japan and Switzerland – have higher life expectancies than Australia.
- During 2000–2030, the worldwide population aged 65 and over is projected to increase by approximately 550 million to 973 million.
Facts from the Australian Bureau of Statistics Census dated 2016.
Improve Your Dance-Life Balance
The health benefits of dance are well documented. Research shows that 75% of the factors affecting quality of life and longevity are related to lifestyle, while only 25% are hereditary. This means that there’s no excuse for not getting more active whatever your age, and dance, in particular, can play a vital role in ensuring a longer and better quality of life.
Research also often puts dance ahead of other physical activities in the variety of health benefits that it brings. Ballet and dance are also very social activities and Silver Swans classes can be great places to meet new people with a passion and joy for life.
Release Your Inner Swan
The RAD is gradually introducing Silver Swans classes across the world in the next few years. Silver Swans classes are already available in the UK, the USA and Australia, and are open to people of all ages and abilities. Silver Swans Licensees are trained specifically to teach ballet to adults over 55s with a range of abilities but all ages are welcome. Open, fun and accessible, these classes will help improve your mobility, posture, coordination, and energy levels, no matter how old you are.
Look for the Silver Swans Licensee logo as a sign of quality and to ensure you get the best possible dance experience!