Silver Swans Workshop
The RAD’s Silver Swans initiative is an exciting business opportunity for experienced ballet teachers to expand their expertise and tap into the growing adult dance market.
Silver Swans ballet classes are aimed at over 55s and are delivered by qualified, licensed, dance professionals. They have been developed in response to a growing mature market, drawing on the RAD’s own research into the benefits of dance for older learners.
There are now over 900 Silver Swans Licensees across the UK, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada teaching Silver Swans branded ballet classes.
What will Silver Swans Workshops consist of?
Our workshops will introduce experienced ballet teachers to Silver Swans®, with a focus on devising and delivering safe and inclusive ballet classes for older learners, and strategies which engage students with diverse experiences and abilities. The sessions aim to provide practical experience of effective ballet teaching strategies for a group of mixed ability older learners. On completion, you will have:
- an understanding of Silver Swans and the responsibilities and expectations of license holders,
- an awareness of a range of ballet teaching strategies and the benefits of these strategies in relation to the Silver Swans,
- a greater understanding of how to safely modify and deliver ballet repertoire for older learners, and
- a knowledge and understanding of appropriate progression, differentiation and integration considerations for adults of mixed ability.
Pre-verification will no longer be required for those interested in attending Silver Swans Workshops. Access to the workshops is now open to anyone who wishes to attend, subject to capacity. All RAD RTS attendees are eligible for the Silver Swans License upon completion of the workshop. All other attendees who wish to be considered for the Silver Swans License should notify us on registering for the workshop so that the tutor can confirm their eligibility post workshop. The confirmation of eligibility is based on a solid demonstration of ballet teaching, as detailed in the list of competencies below. Teachers that are eligible for the license will be notified following the workshop.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of ballet technique
- Knowledge and understanding of the content and progressions of ballet vocabulary to at least Intermediate level (non-syllabus specific)
- Knowledge and understanding of how to create and deliver effective ballet class content
- Demonstrate an appropriate understanding of learning and teaching strategies applicable to ballet teaching
- Demonstrate the ability to teach ballet effectively and safely using practical demonstration as appropriate
- Communicate effectively through verbal and non verbal skills
Benefits of the License
The Silver Swans License entitles you to:
- deliver Silver Swans branded ballet classes,
- use the Silver Swans Licensee logo,
- have access to the marketing toolkit with resources to help you promote your classes,
- have your contact details listed on our global map, and
- buy Silver Swans dancewear at a discount.
What will a Silver Swans® Workshop cost me?
This is a 6-hour workshop delivered over two days.
- RAD Registered Teacher: $200
- RAD Member: $200
- Non-Member: $260
Silver Swans Licensees are required to renew their license annually, no later than the renewal date, to remain a Silver Swan Licensee.
You will be invoiced by our Membership team within 30 days of completing the Silver Swans Workshop for the cost of the annual license fee as follows:
- RAD Registered Teachers receive a 100% discount on the license fee, and will therefore pay no fee for the year.
- RAD Member Plus and RAD Members receive a 50% discount on the license fee and will be invoiced $108 for the year.
- Non-Members pay the full license fee and will be invoiced $216 for the year.
If you have any questions about license payments or renewals, please contact email@example.com
2021 Silver Swans Workshops
Our next Silver Swans® Workshop is in Sydney on March 29 and 30 2021. Teachers are invited to attend in person or online via Zoom. Find out more here.
If there are no workshops in your area, sign up to our waiting list and we will send you details of future workshops once available.
Already a Licensee?
Access the Silver Swans® teacher resources.
Adding your Silver Swans® classes to the Silver Swans® Global Map
Terms & Conditions and Code of Conduct
- For Licensee queries related to a scheduled Silver Swans Workshop or Moodle access, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For queries related to licensee benefits or licensee payment issues, please e-mail email@example.com
- For more information regarding Silver Swans classes near you, please see the Silver Swans online map.
- For sponsorship queries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.