Become a Teacher
Gain recognition when you join our professional network of approximately 8000 teachers registered with the RAD.
|RAD Registered Teacher||Teacher recognised by mutual agreement|
|Teaching registration certificate||YES||NO|
|Dance Gazette magazine||YES||YES|
|Focus on Exams magazine||YES||YES|
|Access to the Members’ Area||YES||YES|
|Included in Find A Teacher online search||YES||YES|
|JobSearch International ™||YES||YES|
|Selected International events||YES||YES|
|Selected International courses||YES||YES|
|Vocational Graded Examinations*||YES||YES|
|Enter candidates for RAD exams||YES||YES|
|Register your school as an RAD exam centre||YES||YES|
|Use of initials RAD RTS||YES||NO|
|Use of the RAD Registered Teacher Logo||YES||NO|
|Attend the AGM and have voting rights**||YES||YES|
|Apply to be an Associate of the RAD (ARAD)**||YES||YES|
|Priority booking for international events||YES||YES|
*From Advanced Foundation upwards.
**Terms and conditions apply.
Eligibility Criteria for RAD Registered Teacher
Teachers should hold one of the following RAD awards:
- Master of Arts in Education (Dance Teaching)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status
- BA (Hons) Ballet Education
- BA (Hons) Dance Education*
- Diploma of Higher Education: Ballet Education
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education*
- Professional Dancers’ Postgraduate Teaching Certificate
- Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma
- Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Dance
- Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies
- Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies
- Certificate in Dance Teaching (Ballet) from 2024
- Pathway to Registered Teacher Status
- RAD Access Route with an approved degree from an RAD partnership institution
Previously Offered Programmes:
- BA (Hons) Classical Ballet Teaching
- BA (Hons) Art and Teaching of Ballet
- RAD Teaching Diploma
- RAD Teaching Certificate
- BA (Hons) Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
* Graduates from these programme must have obtained RAD Intermediate or equivalent in ballet and taken option module BDE505 in a ballet context.
** The RTS portfolio is no longer offered. For those who commenced their studies in the academic year 2017/18 or before the portfolio was eligible for submission within five years of graduation. For those who commenced their studies in academic year 2018/19 and 2019/20 the portfolio was eligible for submission within their period of registration.
Code of Conduct
RAD Registered teachers also have access to a range of partner benefits and discounts. Discover more here.
If you need further information or have any questions, please email email@example.com
How to Apply
Complete our online application form to apply today.
RAD Safeguarding Requirements
The RAD are committed to putting the wellbeing of students, teachers and staff first, and to ensuring that children, young people, and vulnerable or at risk adults are protected from harm.
By joining the RAD as a Registered Teacher, you are committing to meet the following safeguarding requirements at the point of application and at the point of renewal:
- Provide an up-to-date CV and professional references upon request (for new and reinstating applicants only)
- Obtain a criminal record check
- Self-declare any criminal convictions to the RAD
- Participate in annual safeguarding training as part of your CPD hours
These requirements are integrated into the CPD scheme and you will be asked to make your declaration upon application as a new or reinstating RAD Registered Teacher. Don’t worry if you have not met these requirements we will support you. See our FAQs to find out how.