Samantha Wong: Australian Semi-Finalist in The Fonteyn 2023:
- What does it mean to you to be selected as one of the semi-finalists for The Fonteyn? How does it feel to be part of this event?
Being chosen as one of the semi-finalists for The Fonteyn is an incredible honor. It’s a testament to the years of hard work and dedication I’ve poured into my ballet training. Being part of such a prestigious event, fills me with a profound sense of pride and excitement, I cannot wait to meet all the other dancers.
- Can you tell us about your journey in ballet and what inspired you to pursue dance at such a high level?
My journey in ballet began when I was 5. In 2020, I started fulltime at Alegria Dance Studios, under the guidance of exceptional teachers Hilary Kaplan and Archibald McKenzie. I was accepted to study at Elmhurst Ballet School, in association with Birmingham Royal Ballet and graduated in 2023.
What ignited my passion for dance was the sheer beauty and expression that ballet offers. The artistry, discipline, and grace of this form of dance has always inspired me to pursue it at the highest level.
- The Fonteyn showcases exceptional talent from around the world. How have you been preparing for this competition, both physically and mentally?
Preparing for The Fonteyn has been an intense but rewarding experience. Physically, I’ve been rigorously training, perfecting my technique, and working on my strength and flexibility. Mentally, I’ve been focusing on maintaining a positive mindset, staying calm under pressure, and interpreting my solo pieces emotionally to connect with the audience and judges.
- What advice would you give to other aspiring young ballet dancers who aspire to participate in prestigious competitions like The Fonteyn International Ballet Competition?
My advice to aspiring ballet dancers is to embrace dedication and resilience. Believe in your passion and work tirelessly to refine your craft. Seek guidance from experienced mentors, stay open to learning, and never underestimate the power of perseverance. Competitions like The Fonteyn are opportunities to showcase your talent, so always dance with your heart and soul and your love for dance will always shine through to audiences.
- Finally, could you please share one interesting and ‘fun fact’ about yourself?
In addition to ballet, I have a passion for photography and capturing various moments on film. My friends always say I’m the designated photographer when we’re out on a trip!
For media enquiries please contact:
National Marketing Manager
Royal Academy of Dance Australia
(02) 9380 1907