Alicia Wong: Australian Semi-Finalist in The Fonteyn 2023:
- What does it mean to you to be selected as one of the semi-finalists for The Fonteyn? How does it feel to be part of this event?
I am not even in London yet but it is already a fantastic experience to be part of an event with such a strong and beautiful history! I am incredibly grateful and excited for the opportunity to dance for the Royal Academy of Dance who ignited my love for ballet since pre-primary years. Completing my Advanced 2 exam was surprisingly emotional as I reflected back on this decade-long ballet journey with RAD.
- Can you tell us about your journey in ballet and what inspired you to pursue dance at such a high level?
I absolutely adore performing. I love the magic of storytelling through ballet. Ballet requires me to push myself everyday emotionally and physically to give my best to this art form. It is a privilege to put in the work in a studio daily to make the most of the opportunities and teaching I have been given. I study at The Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School under Ms Julie Fleming and Mr Kynan Jones for Royal Academy of Dance classes and coaching.
- The Fonteyn showcases exceptional talent from around the world. How have you been preparing for this competition, both physically and mentally?
To prepare for such a prestigious event I have been working with my teachers every week. We have been focusing on many technical elements of both solos but also making sure to let the love I have for dancing shine through my face and performance.
- What advice would you give to other aspiring young ballet dancers who aspire to participate in prestigious competitions like The Fonteyn International Ballet Competition?
The advice I would give to aspiring young ballet dancers is to find the thrill and excitement for the hard work every day. Through the process, the results will slowly show themselves. Enjoy the rehearsals and the hard days as it brings more light to the beautiful performance days to come.
- Finally, could you please share one interesting and ‘fun fact’ about yourself?
My ‘fun fact’ is that I recently sang as Mary Poppins in my school’s Disney 100 Tribute.
For media enquiries please contact:
National Marketing Manager
Royal Academy of Dance Australia
(02) 9380 1907