The Centenary Medal has been introduced to commemorate the Royal Academy of Dance teaching the world to dance and supporting young dancers’ development for 100 years.
The Centenary Medal will be awarded to the dancer who demonstrates exceptional artistry and performance for an audience, including:
- maintaining confidence and showing responsiveness to an audience in a performance setting
- awareness and sensitivity to the music through movement and performance quality
- a clear understanding of the genre and style, and demonstration of individuality in their interpretation
- technical facility, outstanding execution and spatial awareness.
The centenary medal will be awarded at the following events nationwide.
- Joan and Monica Halliday Memorial Awards NSW (1 medal)
- Isobel Anderson Memorial Awards NSW (1 medal)
- Jacqueline Morland Awards QLD (3 medals, junior, intermediate and senior)
- Festival of Dance WA (3 medals 1 junior, 1 intermediate and 1 senior)
Please note due to the disruption of COVID-19 and the cancellation of the following events in 2021, the Centenary Medal will now be awarded at these events in 2022.
- Shirley Treacy Memorial Award QLD (1 medal) – formerly The North Queensland Bursary
- SA Awards (2 medals, junior and senior)
- Audrey Nicholls Awards VIC (2 medals, Grades 1-5 and Grades 6-8)
- Kathleen Gorham Awards VIC (1 medal)
- Betsy Sawers Awards ACT (2 medals, junior and senior)
- Joan Burnett Scholarship TAS (1 medal)
- Susan Sargison Awards TAS (1 medal)
Centenary Medal Winners:
- Joan Burnett Scholarship TAS- Zoe Gillow, Ballet & Dance Arts Tasmania
- Susan Sargison Awards TAS – Carla Casey, Caroline Small School Of Dance
- Audrey Nicholls Awards VIC
Grades 1 – 4: Miller Phillips, Geelong Ballet Centre
Grades 5 – 8: Amaaya Jayamaha, Parkwood Dance Academy
- SA RAD Awards
Junior: Trinity-Star Roach, GWB Studios
Senior: Tessa Gratton, Terry Simpson Studios
- Festival of Dance WA
Junior: Phoebe Sedgman, The Graduate College of Dance
Intermediate: Rhett Davies, Perth Classical and Contemporary Coaching
Senior: Zane Smith-Taylor, Perth Classical and Contemporary Coaching
- Jacqueline Morland Awards QLD
Junior: Zara Trass, Annette Roselli Dance Academy
Intermediate: Emily Sprout, Prima Youth Classical Academy
Senior: Zai Calliste, Annette Roselli Dance Academy
- Joan and Monica Halliday Memorial Awards NSW
Scarlett Weaver, Tanya Pearson Academy
- Isobel Anderson Memorial Awards NSW
Charlie Carberry, Mosman Dance Academy & Sydney Ballet School
Centenary medal winners will be profiled on this page throughout 2021 and 2022.